Texas LLC Formation Timeline
It normally takes 1 business day (from start to finish) to form a Texas LLC. We’ll file your paperwork on the same day you submit your order. The state will then approve your LLC (typically on the next business day, but they can take up to 3 business days). We then email everything back to you on the same day the state approves your LLC. See the detailed timeline below for more information.
1. We Receive Your Information
The process starts when you submit your information via the secure questionnaire.
2. Same Day E-Filing
Our business formation attorney strives to prepare and e-file your certificate of formation with the Texas Secretary of State on the same day we receive your information. We have direct access to the TXSOS system which allows for the fastest possible processing times. Please note that if we receive your information after normal business hours, we may not prepare and e-file your documents until the following business day.
3. Texas Secretary of State (TXSOS) Review
Once we e-file your certificate of formation, it will be reviewed by a TXSOS analyst to determine if your desired name is available. The TXSOS will complete their review in 1 – 2 business days (Monday filings and filings completed after 2:00pm have a greater chance to take 2 business days). At certain times of the year (i.e. after holidays or at the end of year) the TXSOS has been known to take 3 business days to complete their review. We can’t control this part of the process, but by virtue of e-filing your documents the review process will be expedited without having to pay a fee for expedited service.
4. TXSOS Approval
If the desired name is available the TXSOS will approve the filing and send us an email confirmation. If the desired name is not available, the TXSOS will reject the filing and ask us to start over. In the event of a rejection, you won’t have to pay additional fees, but the timeline will need to start over. It takes the SOS 1 – 3 business days to approve or reject the filing (this is the main delay in the business formation process).
5. Optional Paperwork
Once we receive the confirmation email from the TXSOS indicating that the filing was approved and thus the business is live, we will complete the following tasks to complete your order (depending on what package you selected):
- 5a. Prepare Remaining Documentation: All business formation packages except for the Bronze package include a Company Agreement and organizational meeting documentation. We will finalize these documents on the same day we receive the TXSOS confirmation email. All documents will be compiled into one PDF and emailed to you as soon as they are finalized.
- 5b. Apply Online for the EIN: If you paid us to obtain your Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN), we will complete the online EIN application the day we receive the TXSOS confirmation email. The online EIN application allows us to get your EIN instantly. In rare cases, we will have to fax file the EIN application (Form SS-4) which will result in an EIN in about 1 week.
- 5c. Order Your Company Book: Gold and Platinum packages include a company book (a nice binder). The company book is custom made with the name of the LLC engraved on it. The company book will arrive at our office about a week after ordering. We’ll compile all of the documents and ship to you via priority mail on the day after we receive the book from the manufacturer. You will have already received these same documents via email on the same day we receive the TXSOS confirmation.
6. Email All Documentation
On the same day we receive the SOS Confirmation (#4 above), we will complete the optional paperwork above, if applicable, and email all of the documentation to you in PDF format.